Yet another excellent multi-purpose tool in natural living is Lemon Essential Oil. You may have noticed many of our recipes include a few drops of this very versatile oil, largely due to the fact that Lemon EO is just about great for everything.
Among its many applications, Lemon Essential oil is a known bactericidal and Antiseptic oil. It stimulates the central nervous system and increases resistance to disease. This oil is excellent for circulatory issues, oily skin, varicose veins, astringents, detoxification and purification.
Truth be told, Lemon was the first essential oil I ever purchased. I wanted to try my hand at homemade cleansers and figured I’d get the most bang for my buck with this oil. You could say Lemon essential oil made me a believer in the awe-inspiring abilities of bottled nature because whatever concoction I made (from deodorizers to countertop cleaners) worked like a charm!
Citrus Limon (Lemon Essential Oil) is the product of the outermost peel of a lemon. Although no one can pinpoint where the tree originated, it was introduced to the Middle East about A.D. 1100. In 1493 Columbus brought citrus fruits to the Americas.
- It takes over 3,000 lemons to produce just 1 kilo (2.2lbs) of Essential oil
- Our Lemon Essential Oil is extracted using the cold pressed method in which the outer rind is scored and the resulting oil is captured.
- Lemon has historically been used to aid in breaking fevers as well as to fight scurvy.
- It is a very popular oil in Spain where it is often referred to as a cure-all
- In studies, it has been shown to increase concentration and memory during testing.
- Italy and North America are the biggest producers of Lemon Essential Oil.
Blends Well With…
Here are a few suggestions for essential oils that blend well with Lemon for the maximum therapeutic or aromatic benefit!
Lavender - Chamomile – Sweet Orange – Ylang Ylang
Neroli – Eucalyptus – Frankincense – Tea Tree
How to Use
There are so many excellent uses for Lemon Essential Oil, it would be impossible to list them all. Here are a few more popular or traditional ideas!
- Carpet Cleaner – Just 20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil per gallon of water in your carpet cleaning machine will help brighten and freshen dull carpets. For darker carpets, perform a spot test first!
- Deodorizer - Whether it’s the air in your home or office, or your gym shoes, Lemon essential oil makes an ideal deodorizer and purifier. For the air freshener recipe please read more here.
- Cleaning Products - As I mentioned above, Lemon Essential Oil is my “go to” oil for ALL my cleaning needs. It does everything (and more) traditional chemical cleaners do without the nasty side effects! For recipes, read more here
- Skin and Hair Care - Lemon’s astringent qualities make it ideal for oily skin and hair. A few drops of this EO in your homemade (or natural, existing) hair care products will help with oil absorption. A simple skin tonic (see recipe here) aids oily and acne prone skin.
- Naturally remove gum, tree sap and other sticky substances with a few drops of Lemon essential oil. Apply the oil, let it sit for a few minutes and remove the substance.
Note: Lemon essential oil can cause photosensitivity. Avoid sun or UV lights for at least 12 hours after topical application.