In a recent post we've outlined 5 easy ways to use essential oil. And one of the ways to get the most out of your essential oils is to use them for cleaning so we're going to share a few recipes for making your own natural air freshener from Food.com by JustaQT (thanks!).
Although we recommend you to get a book on Aromatherapy to find more recipes for which essential oils are best to clean with; we thought this article is comprehensive with some really useful tips.
1 Spray bottle
5-10 drops of essential oil (or more – based on your smell preference)
Types of Air Freshener You Can Make
Deodorizing Room Spray
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Orange essential oils (use orange instead of rose)
- 2 drops Clary Sage essential oils (optional)
- Pour the cup of distilled water into the spray bottle.
- Add the drops of essential oils and shake very well.
- Cap the bottle, and allow to sit for a few hours before using.
- Shake the bottle before each use to evenly distribute the scented oil throughout the water.
- Use the label to describe what sort of air freshener each bottle is. (It's important to read the labels or follow the instructions outlined in your Aromatherapy book)
- Use the fine mist setting on your bottle, so the spray will be distributed nicely in the air.
- Here are some interesting ideas for wonderful air freshener sprays, but you can go ahead and create your own favorite blends using scents that you love the most!
- To use the following recipe, just add the recommended amounts of essential oil to the spray bottle with the distilled water, and follow the instructions as above.
- Please note that essential oils can vary in potency- for this reason, you can add or reduce the amounts of essential oil recommended in each recipe, if you find that the essential oil you've bought is either stronger or weaker than expected.
- Deodorizing Room Spray: Add to the distilled water in the spray bottle, shake well and spray as a fine mist.
- Pet Deodorizing Room Spray: Add to the distilled water in the spray bottle, shake well and spray as a fine mist.
- Apple Pie Spice Room Air Freshener: Add to distilled water in the spray bottle, shake well and spray as a fine mist.
- Orange Spice Room Air Freshener: Add to distilled water in the spray bottle, shake well and spray as a fine mist.
- Now, here are three blends made to change your mood for the better!
- It's been proven that with the effects of aromatherapy, just the way things smell can altar your mood.
- Mood Lifter Air Freshener Spray: Follow directions as with other recipes above.
- This recipe will make you feel more light hearted, and less depressed.
- Stress Reliever Air Freshener Spray: Follow directions as with other recipes above.
- This air freshener will help relieve stress, and it smells really wonderful!
- Sleepy-Hour Relaxation Air Freshener Spray: Both of these essential oils have wonderful, sedative effects.
- Spray a little in your bedroom a half hour before going to bed, to enjoy the soothing effects of these natural sedatives. Or spray a little on your pillow or bedclothes to enjoy a whole night of wonderful, restorative sleep.
Do you have any recipes that you'd like to share?
Please leave it in the comments area below, thank you!